I would like to invite you to take a peek inside the latest issue of the quarterly 2+3D, in which you can find 8 pages of conversation with me on the subject of the relationship between women and comics (in Polish).
Numerous topics touched upon include:
- comics authored by women (in Poland and abroad),
- subject matter of women’s comics,
- the role of women (as characters and authors) in the comics industry in historical perspective,
- emancipation and LGBTQ discourse,
- and finally discrimination of women which exists still.
Moreover, I evoke an appalling incident that took place after the publication of the anthology Polish Women’s Comics.
A radio station invited a guest (comics publisher) to talk about many hardships women encounter in the comics industry.
A man (!) spoke about the situation of women in a male-dominated environment, while no women had been invited to the studio.
Polish media should revile similarly discriminating practices instead of perpetuating them, which is why I call attention to this outrageous incident. Unfortunately, such a situation is not a first when it comes to discussions about comics.